Install Sedona Python
Click and play the interactive Sedona Python Jupyter Notebook immediately!
Apache Sedona extends pyspark functions which depends on libraries:
You need to install necessary packages if your system does not have them installed. See "packages" in our Pipfile.
- Installing from PyPI repositories. You can find the latest Sedona Python on PyPI. There is an known issue in Sedona v1.0.1 and earlier versions.
pip install apache-sedona
- Since Sedona v1.1.0, pyspark is an optional dependency of Sedona Python because spark comes pre-installed on many spark platforms. To install pyspark along with Sedona Python in one go, use the
pip install apache-sedona[spark]
- Installing from Sedona Python source
Clone Sedona GitHub source code and run the following command
cd python python3 setup.py install
Prepare sedona-spark-shaded jar¶
Sedona Python needs one additional jar file called
sedona-spark-shaded to work properly. Please make sure you use the correct version for Spark and Scala. For Spark 3.0 + Scala 2.12, it is called
You can get it using one of the following methods:
Compile from the source within main project directory and copy it (in
spark-shaded/targetfolder) to SPARK_HOME/jars/ folder (more details)
Download from GitHub release and copy it to SPARK_HOME/jars/ folder
- Call the Maven Central coordinate in your python program. For example, in PySparkSQL
spark = SparkSession. \ builder. \ appName('appName'). \ config("spark.serializer", KryoSerializer.getName). \ config("spark.kryo.registrator", SedonaKryoRegistrator.getName). \ config('spark.jars.packages', 'org.apache.sedona:sedona-spark-shaded-3.0_2.12:1.4.0,' 'org.datasyslab:geotools-wrapper:1.4.0-28.2'). \ getOrCreate()
If you are going to use Sedona CRS transformation and ShapefileReader functions, you have to use Method 1 or 3. Because these functions internally use GeoTools libraries which are under LGPL license, Apache Sedona binary release cannot include them.
Setup environment variables¶
If you manually copy the sedona-spark-shaded jar to
SPARK_HOME/jars/ folder, you need to setup two environment variables
- SPARK_HOME. For example, run the command in your terminal
- PYTHONPATH. For example, run the command in your terminal
You can then play with Sedona Python Jupyter notebook.